Friday, February 10, 2006

Weather or not


If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a few minutes.
Mark Twain

A snowstorm is forecast for my area tomorrow night and into Sunday. The kind of snowstorm they refer to as a Nor'easter, that means really bad to all you non-New Englanders. Personally, I think that forecasters should get the weather right most of the time now that they have the aid of computers and satellites. Sadly, they are still wrong and they are wrong way too much. Because of this forecast my mom and dad and brother and sister have decided to skip their visit for this weekend. I agree with the decision based on the available facts but it is going to be very frustrating if the weatherman is wrong again.
Parents don't get the luxury of help from satellites or computer modeling when they make "forecasts" for their kids, They also really don't get to be wrong because if they are adverse outcomes can occur in their child's life. It is one thing for my parents to have to come a different week, it's another for my daughter to think she can't be good at something because her parents told her she can't do it. There are going to be other "forecasters" in my daughters life as well. Teachers, friends, relatives and coaches all can tell my daughter that she can't do things. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I just don't think everyone is entitled to share them with children.
I guess everyone has goals, dreams and ambitions that they didn't achieve in their lives. Things that are still undone and we hope to get to someday. Everyone has these feelings so I am sure my daughter will as well. I guess my goal is to try and make sure that my daughter has the opportunity to do what she wants to do and not let any of the "forecasters" in her life keep her away from her dreams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home