Friday, February 03, 2006

Selfishness


Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
Oscar Wilde

If you have read any of my previous blogs then you have seen me write about selfishness, or lack of it, several times. Well today I did something that many, myself included, would consider selfish. I bought a dirtbike.
It's not really the money (although that is a part of it), it's also not really about the time (another part of it), it's more about the money and the time being spent on a solitary activity. That is what is selfish about this act. There are no baby seats on motorcycles. No sidecars in the woods. Unless my wife gets a dirtbike (not likely) she will stay home with the baby while I go off and have fun.
I am not opposed to having fun. Everyone should do it. I am opposed to leaving someone at home while someone else goes out and has themselves a big time.
My wife understands that getting this bike is something I've always wanted and that just having it makes me happier. I am sure that she isn't thrilled that it is going to take some of our time away.
I guess that although I am trying to give as much of myself to my family as I can, I still have some of that selfish little boy in me that wants things, just wants them. Hopefully, that little boy begins to realize that wanting and having are two separate things. This dirtbike is going to have to satisfy my selfish little boy for a good long time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home