Monday, February 06, 2006

Savoring the flavor


The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy) (1:42)
P. Simon, 1966
Released on Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme

Slow down, you move too fast
You got to make the morning last
Just kicking down the cobblestones
Looking for fun and feeling groovy
Ba da da da da da da, feeling groovy

Hello lamppost, what'cha knowing
I've come to watch your flowers growin'
Ain't cha got no rhymes for me?
Doo-it in doo doo, feeling groovy
Ba da da da da da da, feeling groovy

I got no deeds to do
No promises to keep
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep
Let the morning time drop all its petals on me
Life I love you, all is groovy


On February 5, 2006 the Pittsburgh Steelers won Super Bowl XL.
It seems so odd to write that in the past tense, it was only a moment or two ago that I was enthralled with watching the Steelers, hoping they wouldn't blow a golden opportunity to beat the Seahawks and bring some happiness to Pittsburgh.
That's kind of how this past few week have gone for us. It feels like everything is happening so quickly, too much happening at once and not enough time to stop and look around. As Ferris Bueller said "Life happens fast and if we don't stop and look around once in a while we may miss it."
I think a lot of people fall into this trap, there is always tomorrow to read to our kids, always tomorrow to be more than just someone our kinds see for 25 minutes a day. I understand that everyone needs to work but when I think about how fast things have gone all ready, how much I have missed, and our daughter is only 8 weeks old it scares me to think how much I'll miss by the time she's one.
With the passage of time we human beings to comprehend that everything, including hurt, anger, fears, happiness, joy, passes. As I look at my daughter I think about all the wasted time in my life. Time spent watching TV or stressing out about who knows what, something I forgot about a long time ago. The time we waste, we can't recover, we don't get it back. That is scary and it is something that I am working on to fix in my life. I owe my time to my daughter and my wife, not to TV, stress or work.
I am going to enjoy the Steelers victory for a good long time. I intend to enjoy my daughter for a lot longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home