Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day



That best portion of a good man's life,
His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.

William Wordsworth

Valentine's day has always been one of those holidays that is kind of strange to me. Why do we need a certain specific day to tell people that we love them? Isn't the goal, the whole point actually, of being in love being able to tell the other person how we feel? If we are uncomfortable doing it on a daily basis what does it really say about us that we feel comfortable saying it only once a year?
My wife knows how I feel about her,I think, not just through my words but also through my actions. The amount that I love her shows through each and every day. Be it because I fill the bird feeders so she can watch the birds or buy her a tennis bracelet the effect is the same. She knows that I care about her, I miss her when we are apart and I will do anything to make sure that she is happy.
My daughter doesn't know what the words "I Love you" even mean. She would be incapable of waiting for one day a year to be shown love. Thankfully, she has love and kindness shown to her every day by her mom and me. The way we care for our child, play with her, talk to her lets her know that she is loved.
One day a year is okay for a birthday party or the fourth of July. It is 364 days too few for showing and telling the people we love how we feel.

1 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Blogger Di said...

I am so there with you. Why should someone else decide when I should buy/get flowers? So many people expect it. The day to day is WAY more important than getting flowers from your husband because he knows you will be pissed if you don't. Yeah, that 's love!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home