Sunday, February 26, 2006

Snow Go



The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it.
Bertrand Russell

Well day one of grandparents in toyland....so far so good. It's snowing pretty good out right now, hard enough that the snowblower and I are going to get a workout once the sun goes down.
My parents have decided they will travel down to my brother's house during the snow storm. They live on long island so they have driven in snow before but I still would have preferred they wait until tomorrow to go traveling around a place they have never been before. Needless to say they got into an accident. It wasn't a bad accident, their rear bumper got dented but nobody, thankfully, was injured.

It never ceases to amaze me how one decision affects so many other things. My parents decide to visit my brother, they get rear-ended. If they stay at my house maybe the car that rear-ended them slides through an intersection and four people die. How does their leaving or staying affect the great plan of the universe? I have no clue. It's just fascinating to me to think of the myriad of things that may of been different if they had left my house 5 minutes later or 5 minutes earlier.
The same can be said about my daughter. How would she be different if she was born four years ago instead of now? Where would we be living, how would we feel about her and how would she feel about us? Is the time that we had her the right time for us or was it too soon? Maybe it was too late...
These questions, of course, have no answer. They are just fun things that I like to think about. Kind of like the whole if a tree falls in the woods does it make a sound question. You can view it your way, I'll view it mine and odds are we are both wrong but maybe we're both also right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home