Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Keeping your eye on the prize



In your eyes

Accepting all I’ve done and said
I want to stand and stare again
Til there’s nothing left out, oh
It remains there in your eyes
Whatever comes and goes
I will hear your silent call
I will touch this tender wall
Til I know I’m home again
Ooh

In your eyes (in your eyes)
In your eyes (in your eyes)
In your eyes (in your eyes)
In your eyes



Peter Gabriel

If you didn't know her you would never of noticed the change. If you had only seen her once or twice the change was also probably not detected. My wife and I noticed immediately. Our daughter, whose eyes have only seemed like reflecting mirrors, began focusing on objects, people and animals today. When you talk to her you can look into her eyes and see, for the first time in her young life, that there is something going on inside her brain. Slowly, she is beginning to figure things out, to learn, to begin to think.
As her mom talks to me our daughter turns her head to look at her, trying to find her, hoping to see her mom and feel the connection that they share. Our daughter looks in the direction of the dog when he barks, trying to understand what that noise means and if she needs to be afraid or not
This entire process is truly amazing to me. Perhaps I personalize her too much but I can try to figure out what she must be thinking. Seeing everything in her world for the first time, soaking in everything that she can, remembering which face goes with mom and which face goes with dad.
I envy her newness, her innocence and her ability to learn. Hopefully, she will keep these traits for just a while longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home